Moved by the Love of Christ - serving the suffering Church
How to apply
Ideally, the person responsible for the practical realisation of the project should elaborate and submit the application. This can be a bishop, a priest, a male or female religious or a layperson.
To come into consideration for funding, a request must have the explicit written approval of the local bishop (in the case of diocesan and parish projects) or religious superior (if the project is fully internal to the religious congregation) stating that it is a priority for the diocese or the congregation.
If your project fits our funding criteria and if you have secured the preliminary approval of your bishop or superior, here are some guidelines about writing a project application and including all necessary technical information.
- Project presentation
We have no forms for you to present your project argumentation (exceptions see Special cases). Please use your own stationery and write as you know best. Assume we know nothing about your specific situation, yet need to understand “Who, Where, When, What and Why?”
- Describe the pastoral need behind the project by introducing the diocese, parish (community), congregation or institution along with a description of the local situation (historical, social, religious, economic etc). You may quote testimonies of the people you are trying to help.
- Describe your goals and objectives (What you want to achieve vis-à-vis the need you have described).
- Where relevant, always give concrete figures (number of parishioners, seminarians, novices, sisters, participants etc).
- State in a concise way the specific purpose for which you need a grant (What you actually need the money for)
- Specify the total costs of the project.
- Specify how much money you have (or can obtain) locally, from other charities (please name them) and how much you expect from ACN.
- Back up your argumentation with pro-forma invoices, cost estimates, finance plans, photos, budgets, programs, lists of participants, etc.
- Let your bishop read your application and ask him to verify what you have written and to approve your sending it off to us.
- If you have general photos illustrating your pastoral work or the people you serve, please send us two of the best, as we depend solely on fundraising and might need such photos, should we decide to support your project.
- Personal information
To avoid incomplete or out of date personal information, please make use of ACN's
basic application form and attach it to every application you submit.
You may submit your application in any of the West-European languages in which this Website is available. In addition, some East-European languages such as Russian, Ukrainian and Polish are also understood at our Head Office. If in doubt, please consult your bishop or religious superior.
- Submission Deadlines
ACN's fundraising and decision-making are ongoing. Thus we have no fixed submission deadlines for project applications. The sole exception is scholarships, where decisions must be taken in time for the commencement of the academic year. See special cases.
Due to the high number of applications we receive, please reckon with at least two months for a decision from us.
Our financial resources never suffice to cover all requests received. It is therefore inevitable that some applications will be turned down despite their fitting our funding criteria.
- Where to send
Simply address the hand-signed hard copy of your request to our International Head Office in Germany where our Project Department is located.
Aid to the Church in Need - International
D - 61452 Königstein im Taunus
Do not send via one or more of our national offices – this creates unnecessary costs and delays. To help avoid multiple applications to our charity, here is the list of our national offices for your information.
- Aid to the Church in Need (Blacktown, Australia)
- Kirche in Not (Wien, Austria)
- Kerk in Nood/Aide à l’Eglise en Détresse (Leuven, Belgium)
- Ajuda à Igreja que Sofre (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Aide à l’Eglise en Détresse/Aid to the Church in Need (Montreal, Canada)
- Ayuda a la Iglesia que Sufre (Santiago, Chile)
- Aide à l’Eglise en Détresse (Mareil-Marly, France)
- Kirche in Not (München, Germany)
- Aid to the Church in Need (Dublin, Ireland)
- Aiuto alla Chiesa che Soffre (Roma, Italy)
- Kerk in Nood (‘s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands)
- Pomoc Kosciolowi w Potrzebie (Warszawa, Poland)
- Ajuda à Igreja que Sofre (Lisboa, Portugal)
- Ayuda a la Iglesia Necesitada (Madrid, Spain)
- Kirche in Not/Aide à l’Eglise en Détresse (Luzern, Switzerland)
- Aid to the Church in Need (Sutton, United Kingdom)
- Aid to the Church in Need (Brooklyn, USA)
A note on electronic communication
It is our policy to accept project applications in original hand-signed paper form only. If you send in an application in advance by E-Mail attachment or fax, do not forget to send the hand-signed hard copy by post along with the hand-signed original of your bishop’s endorsement. Otherwise your application will not be reviewed.